Friday, July 28, 2006

ABCnews: Manhattan teenager slain by drifter

"By TOM HAYS

NEW YORK Jul 28, 2006 (AP)— A drifter is accused of killing a suburban teenage girl who got lost after a night of clubbing in Manhattan and whose body was later found in a New Jersey trash bin.

A New Jersey judge signed an arrest warrant Thursday charging Draymond Coleman, 35, in the slaying of Jennifer Moore, 18, whose body was found earlier in the day in West New York, N.J., authorities said.

Coleman, 35, was taken into custody at a hotel in Manhattan. He has done time on a drug charge, and police said he has prior arrests for robbery and assault. It was not known if he had a lawyer.

New York police think Moore was lured or forced into a taxi along a major roadway along Manhattan's west side, where she was last seen walking alone early Tuesday, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing. Her killer took her to a motel and strangled her, the official said.

Officials said surveillance video from the motel in Weehawken, N.J., showed Coleman entering the building with Moore early Tuesday, according to published reports Friday.

The Hudson County, N.J., medical examiner ruled the teen's death a homicide and said the cause was blunt force trauma to the head and strangulation.

Moore had accompanied a friend to retrieve their car from the city tow pound when Moore's friend passed out and had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital. Moore stayed behind.

Around 5 a.m., she called her boyfriend to say she was lost and he told her to call a cab, The New York Post reported. When he called back there was no answer, the newspaper said.

"She was someone who was smart and bright and funny," her father, Hugh Moore, said outside their home in Harrington Park, N.J. "Wrong place, wrong time. It could happen to anybody."

Moore graduated from high school in May and was enrolled at the University of Hartford for the fall, her father said.


Associated Press writer Wayne Parry in Newark, N.J., contributed to this report."

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Texas family loses two sons to the war; burglars take son's medals

"By BETSY BLANEY, Associated Press Writer
Wed Jul 26, 2:24 PM ET


LUBBOCK, Texas - Less than two years ago, Roy Velez got the worst news a father could get: His oldest son was dead, killed during combat in Iraq.


This week, his pain only deepened with news that his youngest son had died in Afghanistan.

Military officials notified the Velez family Tuesday of the death of Army Spc. Andrew Velez, 22. His brother, Army Cpl. Jose A. Velez, 23, died in November 2004 in Fallujah when his unit came under fire while clearing an enemy stronghold.

"I can't be angry. I feel like my heart's been pulled out," Roy Velez said Tuesday. "We've done what the Lord allowed us to do for our country."

The family lost its only sons; there is one daughter.

The military does not have a regulation prohibiting the deployment of family members at the same time. But families can request that relatives return home if one is killed or disabled.

After his brother's death, the military gave Andrew Velez the option of not returning to combat, Roy Velez said. But Andrew Velez told his father he wanted to return to fight, his father said.

"You always do it for your buddy next to you," Roy Velez recalled his younger son saying.

Roy Velez last talked to Andrew Velez on the phone Saturday. His son told him he'd had "six close calls" as they tracked Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan, and that he was tired.

He was scheduled to return for 10 days of leave during the last week of August. "He said, 'Daddy, I'll see you in August,'" Roy Velez said.

Andrew Velez joined the Army about five years ago. He graduated in 2002 from Estacado High School in Lubbock. During his school years, he wrestled, played football and basketball and ran track. He also loved playing golf.

His older brother, Jose, joined the Army after graduating from the same high school in 2000 and hoped to attend medical school one day. He played football and was an honor student.

After his death, Jose Velez was awarded two Purple Hearts, the Bronze Star and a Silver Star. But burglars stole them all from his parents' home in June.

On Monday, the medals were replaced, thanks to the assistance of U.S. Rep. Randy Neugebauer (news, bio, voting record), Roy Velez said. "And today at 12:30 I learned my other son was killed in action," he said.

Andrew Velez's survivors include his wife, Veronica Velez; a daughter, Jasmine Jade, 5; and two sons, Jordan Davis, 3, and Jacob Andrew, 2."

Help these people please. Get those medals back.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Soldier's family slain in Washington State

"KIRKLAND, Wash. Jul 20, 2006 (AP)— Two women and two young boys found dead after a house fire all died of wounds to the neck, and the fire apparently was set to cover up the slayings, authorities said Wednesday.

The home belonged to a soldier serving in Iraq, his wife and their two children. The victims were the young mother, the children and her sister, the King County medical examiner's office said.

Police in this east Seattle suburb have arrested a neighbor for investigation of arson and homicide in Monday's fire and the four slayings, Police Capt. Eric Olsen said at a news conference. He declined to elaborate on what led authorities to the man.

"We don't have a motive at this time," Olsen said.

When firefighters arrived at the scene Monday, the two-story house was ablaze. Authorities determined the fire was arson.

Sgt. Leonid Milkin, 29, has been granted emergency leave from duty in Iraq, and was expected home with 24 hours, Maj. Philip Osterli of the Washington National Guard said Wednesday.

Milkin bought the home in 2003 with his wife, Olga, 28.

In addition to Olga Milkin, the victims were identified as her sister, Lyuba Botvin, 24, who also lived in the house, and the Milkins' two boys, Justin, 5, and Andrew, 3.

The women and the older boy died of stab wounds to the neck while the 3-year-old's throat was cut, the medical examiner's office said.

Milkin had been in Iraq since September as a member of the 341st Military Intelligence Battalion.

Army officials were helping the National Guard coordinate a grant for funeral expenses.

The bodies were all found on the second floor, Fire Marshal Grace Steuart said after the fire."